Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My Horizontal Life

The Hacker, aka my wonderful husband Rich, is reminding me it's time for an update and I figure I should fill you in before he hacks into our blog again and does it for me :).

As the headline indicates (as well as "the Hacker's" entries), I've landed my large basketball shaped belly on strict bed rest for showing signs of preterm labor that I didn't even know I had. And, I'm happy to say, I've completed two full weeks already (let's not talk about the fact that I hope to stay here for the next 6-8 weeks).

There are different levels of bed rest (who knew?) and "strict bed rest" means I can shower every-other day (for 7 minutes! - this is the only rule I break), sit up to eat and get up to go to the bathroom (which is often). No preparing meals, no stairs, no sitting up to update blogs. It's kind of a challenge since I am not a book reader (love magazines) nor TV junkie (like movies though) and it's wiped out my social calendar and all sense of vanity (however, I scream every time I pass a mirror and realize this is my "au naturale" look :). However, I am not complaining. The longer the babies stay put, the greater chance they have at having healthy lives. I want that more than anything. I want it so badly.

Far too many people have told me that they wish they were on bed rest. I'm convinced these people have never actually been on bed rest because they don't realize the unbelievable worry for your baby/ies well being that goes along with it. I know what they mean though - mandatory R&R; who doesn't want that (minus the worry).

Anyway, enough of that. I have changed while on bed rest. I've read one book, watched countless movies and have become a TV junkie. I need the boys to stay put so I can watch The Biggest Loser (always been a fan) that starts a new season next week as well as a new show, Undercover Boss. I also have the Hollywood award shows and the Olympics lined up in my very busy day planner :). I've reconnected with The Young & The Restless and am a big fan of Dr. Oz. I've also got to read the Twilight series and complete the puzzle book thing my friend's gave me as part of a care package (such awesome friends!!). These same friends also gave me Season 1 of Gossip Girl, which I had never seen. My husband makes me wait for him to watch it and went out and bought Season 2 after we finished the first one. I'm not sure I'd watch it if not for bed rest but we truly are addicted. We've had some marathon days and I'm getting a little concerned. My dreams now are in the form of Gossip Girls. I don't know if you've seen it but in my dreams, I get texts informing me of other people's secrets and next thing you know, all of Chaska (upper east side of NYC) knows it. Of course I'm Blake Lively in my dreams.....and then I wake up and pass that all telling mirror :)

Anyway, you'll all have to go on bed rest just to have enough time to read my yet again, looonnnngggg entry.

Horizontally yours (wow, that sounds really good),
Nichole, with an h




2 comments:

  1. Hi Nichole, I love reading your blog. You are very funny with all your descriptions of your situation. I have not been on bed rest of any kind, nor have most people. So I am assuming all of us really don't understand what it is all about. But given the outcome, any of us would live a horizontal life in a second if given those instructions. I am anxious to be given my cooking orders from Nicole (with out an h). Do you have anything in particular you are craving for dinner? Any suggestions? Will be glad to make anything. I heard that Rich is a pretty good cook. I must say John is also.
    "Happy New Year". I'm sure you were both greatly missed "Up North". Take care, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nichole, How are you? You are very lucky that you don't have to go outside. Brrr
    I am flying to Cancun tomorrow. Sounds good, but of course it is a very short stay. 1 hour works for me. I will stand outside for a few minutes in the sun. I fly there 5 times this month. Seems to be a big seller! Can't imagine why?? I will give you an update tomorrow. I bet you don't have any trouble staying warm. Take good care of those little guys. Are they running marathons? Nancy

    ReplyDelete